Character creation for tonnes of personality
A bespoke character design will create a memorable brand - and give joy!
Illustrations copyright 2021 @Lightningfibre and @ApexEd
Character designs are used as part of the brand story:
- to create an identifiable, memorable brand
- to maximize the impact on the audience
- to improve online presence
- to have a consistent framework for all collaterals
- to talk to the audience directly (story)
- to help engagement and conversion
- to give joy and touch people’s hearts
Distinctive characters can build strong associations with a company and guide a user through a more enjoyable digital experience.
Establishing a good brief:
- Format and proportions
- Usage (website, social media, print adverts, animation - this is important especially if animated, some body parts may need to be isolated
- Brand legacy, brand guidelines to tie the character in with your branding, understand the brand values etc
- Buisness & marketing drivers: why is a bespoke character important for the brand?
Getting to know the character
- Ethnicity, personality, posture, age, gender, quirks, mood
- Location and surroundings, accessibility, scenarios, settings
- Political correctness
- Line of action
- Style of drawing, line, colour, backdrop (consider that the characters may sit on a coloured background)
- Degree of realism VS cartoon
Telling the story
- Who are you? (brand values, mission, vision)
- How do you speak to the audience? What is your tone of voice) and how is this represented through the character?
- What are your USPs and how can the character represent these?
- How are you different?
- How can you make it memorable?
- How can you make the characters tie in with your branding and visual communication materials?
Character design for a new fast-fibre broadband company
Lightning Fibre asked me to create character designs to make their online presence more personal.
They are a Full Fibre Broadband provider dedicated to making a positive impact for our customers and our community. By joining us, you don’t just get hyperfast broadband speeds - it also benefits your community.
"External feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. "Rob Reaks, Lightning Fibre
Character design for an online math tuition course
ApexEd is a learning platform which helps children to enjoy maths more. Nenna Nwawudu, an A-Level student herself, set it up as she felt that maths tuition could happen via peer support, where students teach students.
I was asked to create some characters which can accompany the users through their math journey.
The project is on-going.